Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Good and the Bad

Yesterday, I was grinning from ear to ear after DLSU escaped with a 1-point victory over arch-nemesis ADMU to take the twice to beat advantage in the UAAP. It was certainly worth the heartaches I had to endure from the two previous losses to the same school during the regular season.

UST will now battle against ADMU and the winner will meet DLSU who, as i said earlier, will enjoy a twice to beat advantage. If I'm lucky, I will not have to see the likes of Tiu, Baclao and Reyes as these people have given me many sleepless nights. But then again, I'm not sure Jervy Cruz, Mirza and Ababou will be any better for my very fragile heart. If I could only fast forward and just get to the Finals, I would. But reality sets in and I know that to do that, we will have to rise up to the challenge and beat either UST or ADMU, both of whom are formidable opponents.

As I was surfing with my remote hoping to catch a replay of the game, I chanced upon HARDBALL, a sports show on ANC. The headline of course was the game that just transpired but what caught my attention was the second news story, the suspension of Brian Ilad.

I was not able to watch the DLSU-UE game and so it was my first time to see the infamous sucker punch of Ilad on UE player, Fampulme. I was in disbelief at what I saw. Ilad's aggression was unprovoked and at that precise moment, I wanted to tear that uniform off his back. After the Manny Salgado incident and all the flak we got from the Mark Benitez fiasco, this was the last thing DLSU needed. I wish Ilad had the sense to control his emotions and just leave the battle on the basketball court. But he didn't. He chose to let his emotions get the better of him and the DLSU community will have to endure months of criticism for the act of one individual.

This time, I wish I could push the rewind button and run to Araneta so I could hold Ilad by the ankles. I wish I could erase that incident. I wish it never happened. But it did. Ilad now has to serve a 6-game suspension and he has issued an apology to the UE community. Now, about that apology....

Ilad states that he felt his teammates were in imminent danger and hence, his aggression. PLEASE. You must be able to call a spade a spade. Despite my love for my alma mater, I will not even attempt to justify that act of thuggery. It was a severe lapse of judgement and Ilad should just apologize. Period.

I was also bothered by statements made by Maierhoffer and Casio that the number 15 taped on their jersey was in support of Ilad. Hmmmmmmmmmm. I hope what you meant is that you support Ilad in good times and in bad and NOT support or adhere to the act itself. Kasi kung ganun din, I think the sports psychiatrist will have to see them as well. As i said, I love my school. But that does not mean I will lose my sense of reason and logic all in the name of love and basketball.

However, since I also place a premium on loyalty, I believe that you must never abandon a friend (or a teammate) especially during his darkest hours. The act is wrong but Ilad still deserves the support of his team and our school. Pero there are other ways of showing support to the person diba? Do you really have to wear his number? Hindi ba pwedeng email or text nalang? :)

He should be given the opportunity to redeem himself. Pero Mr. Ilad, huwag mo lang ulitin ha! (Note: Apparently, he won't have the chance to. I just read that his one and only year at DLSU will be his last because he already spent his first four years of eligibility at another college league. This suspension effectively ends his UAAP career)

I'm sure I have you all confused. Mommy ba 'to or basketball enthusiast? Well, I'm both and then some! It would also interest you to know that I studied Law at (THE) Ateneo as well and my hubby is a Glowing Goldie. Heehee. So for all you haters, save yourself the effort of baggin on me. It's game time again on Sunday! Reymond will be cheering his lungs out for UST. I will be anxiously waiting in the sidelines to see who we go up against in the next game.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

5 comments:

Ramon Jose said...

thanks for visiting my blog and your comment. hope to watch la salle's next game at araneta whoever our opponent is. sana ateneo so that we can beat them again!

animo la salle!

32 flavors said...

wow! you're brave! my hubby would probably sneer at such a bold statement but you know what? i think i'd rather have ustE (he'd also probably say ang yabang ko).

parang mas praning ang ateneo sa ust, and we're more confident with ust. what do you think? but yes, whoever, i'm sure we'll come out on top!

Ramon Jose said...

hey, thanks for the comment on my blog.

found this forum for la sallians if you're interested: http://www.greenarcher.net/forums/

laughed at my previous comment here. was planning to watch at araneta! ha ha. sa tv pa lang chicken na! lol.

Calai said...

THE BAD
what bothers me is that a lot of the la salle players are not from a la salle high school (bacolod, greenhills, lipa, zobel,...), so the team kind of loses it's "la salle-ness" in a way that makes others think that all lasallites are probably like ilad, maierhoffer, casio. i mean, we (mostly yung mga totoong derecho la salle since birth complete with college professors who also taught our fathers in grade school) don't expect or condone "thuggery". pero malakas talaga kami humirit =)

THE GOOD
man, we have the best basketball team out there. naknampocha hanep. animo la salle!!!

32 flavors said...

si carla - yan ang true la sallian! wish you were here to see the game. doubt if you stayed anywhere in europe with TFC! heehee.